[ report an error in this record ]basket (0): add | show Print this page

AlgaeTraits: a trait database for (European) seaweeds
Vranken, S.; Robuchon, M.; Dekeyzer, S.; Bárbara, I.; Bartsch, I.; Blanfuné, A.; Boudouresque, C.-F.; Decock, W.; Destombe, C.; de Reviers, B.; Díaz Tapia, P; Herbst, A.; Julliard, R.; Karez, R.; Kersen, P.; Krueger-Hadfield, S.A.; Kuhlenkamp, R.; Peters, A.F.; Peña, V.; Piñeiro-Corbeira, C.; Rindi, F.; Rousseau, F.; Rueness, J.; Schubert, H.; Sjøtun, K.; Sansón, M.; Smale, D.; Thibaut, T.; Valero, M.; Vandepitte, L.; Vanhoorne, B.; Vergés, A.; Verlaque, M.; Vieira, C.; Le Gall, L.; Leliaert, F.; De Clerck, O. (2023). AlgaeTraits: a trait database for (European) seaweeds. ESSD 15(7): 2711-2754. https://dx.doi.org/10.5194/essd-15-2711-2023
In: Earth System Science Data. Copernicus: Göttingen. ISSN 1866-3508; e-ISSN 1866-3516, more
Peer reviewed article  

Available in  Authors 


Authors  Top 
  • Vranken, S., more
  • Robuchon, M.
  • Dekeyzer, S., more
  • Bárbara, I., more
  • Bartsch, I.
  • Blanfuné, A.
  • Boudouresque, C.-F.
  • Decock, W., more
  • Destombe, C.
  • de Reviers, B.
  • Díaz Tapia, P
  • Herbst, A.
  • Julliard, R.
  • Karez, R.
  • Kersen, P.
  • Krueger-Hadfield, S.A.
  • Kuhlenkamp, R.
  • Peters, A.F.
  • Peña, V., more
  • Piñeiro-Corbeira, C.
  • Rindi, F., more
  • Rousseau, F.
  • Rueness, J.
  • Schubert, H., more
  • Sjøtun, K.
  • Sansón, M.
  • Smale, D.
  • Thibaut, T.
  • Valero, M., more
  • Vandepitte, L., more
  • Vanhoorne, B., more
  • Vergés, A.
  • Verlaque, M.
  • Vieira, C., more
  • Le Gall, L.
  • Leliaert, F., more
  • De Clerck, O., more

    The analysis of biological and ecological traits has a long history in evolutionary and ecological research. However, trait data are often scattered and standardised terminology that transcends taxonomicand biogeographical context are generally missing. As part of thedevelopment of a global trait database of marine species, we collated trait information for European seaweeds and structured the data within the standardised framework of the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS). We collected 45 175 trait records for 21 biologically and ecologically relevant traits of seaweeds. This resulted in a trait database for 1745 European seaweed species of which more than half (56 %) of the records were documented at the species level, while the remaining 44 % were documented at a higher taxonomic level and subsequently inherited at lower levels. The trait database for European seaweeds will serve as a foundation for future research on diversity and evolution of seaweeds and their responses to global changes. The data will contribute to developing detailed trait-based ecosystem models and will be an important tool to inform marine conservation policies. The data are publicly accessible through the AlgaeTraits portal, https://doi.org/10.14284/574 (AlgaeTraits, 2022).

All data in the Integrated Marine Information System (IMIS) is subject to the VLIZ privacy policy Top | Authors